WYNBERG BOYS’ JUNIOR SCHOOL POLICY REGARDING BULLYING others.
Wynberg Boys’ Junior School condemns bullying in all its forms. The following measures are to be read in conjunction with the School’s Code of Conduct, the WCED Manual on Suspension and Expulsion of Learners, the South African School’s Act and the regulations promulgated therefrom.
BULLYING CAN BE DEFINED AS:
Any form of offensive or inappropriate behaviour towards another, that is perpetrated 1. OFTEN and 2. ON PURPOSE.
- Physical Behaviour (pushing, kicking, tripping, hitting, pinching, spitting)
- Verbal Behaviour (name-calling, swearing at and insults of any kind)
- Emotional Behaviour (exclusion, spreading rumours, gossiping, shaming or belittling)
- Cyber Behaviour (using any form of social/ digital media to engage in the above)
- Any activity of a nature that deliberately creates undue/ ongoing physical and/or emotional distress to another.
- A group of learners acting against an individual in one of the above-mentioned ways
OUR APPROACH TO ADDRESSING BULLYING WILL INVOLVE THE FOLLOWING:
- A zero-tolerance / one-strike approach to any form of derogatory reference to race, religion, gender identification or sexual orientation.
- A kept record and communication pathway that can extend to the High School level, regarding ongoing behavioural concerns.
- A clearly defined and sequential consequence process that could include: limiting non-class-based opportunities to engage other boys, the exclusion from the school-based extra-curricular activity and/or a Governing Body Hearing if deemed necessary.
- An opportunity for restorative practices that encourage learning, healing and growth for all affected.
In addition to being dealt with as detailed above, boys who continually engage in bullying-type behaviour towards others will be referred to the School Based Support Team (SBST) for evaluation and for the team’s recommendations in terms of ongoing counselling/intervention, which may be applied in conjunction with any disciplinary action.
Please click this link to read our Hair Policy here.
Please click this link to read our Sun Hat Policy here.
Please click this link to read our Anti-Bullying Policy here.