Headmasters Jan de Waal (WBHS) and Cedric Poleman (WBJS) jointly announce the names of the Wynberg Houses to be introduced in January 2018.
Shared between the High & Junior School:
Glebe House – Green
Oude Wijnberg House – Blue
Silverhurst House – Red
Sunninghill House – Yellow
Wynberg Boys’ High School:
Hawthornden House – Burgundy
Littlewood House – White
McNaughton House – Black
Trovato House – Light Blue
The School Badge, as used since 1924, remains as the shared Wynberg Brand; emblems for the eight Houses will be decided at a future date once the House names and colours are familiarised.
The High School, on the introduction of the Tutor System and catering to expanded enrollment adds three more houses, during the tenure of Headmaster, Mr Keith Richardson, Lorie (light blue) was named after the first Headmaster of the independent Junior School, Mr Arnold Lorie; McNaughton (black) after the first Headmaster of the Wynberg Schools; De Villiers (burgundy) after Sir Henry de Villiers (first Baron Wynberg), acclaimed by DH Thomson in his The Story of a School: “Lord de Villiers had fathered and built the school … Like Dr PE Faure before him, his name still has to be incorporated into the daily life … ”*
“This departmental division of the school, however, has not in any way been allowed to disrupt the spirit of unity which has been a characteristic of the school since the beginning of the century when juniors were first admitted to Wynberg.”
The prefect system is inaugurated, and a new school badge (as in use today) is seen for the first time in their handmade, silver lapel badges.
“The badge with its shield and four quarters was originally designed and proposed by Councillor Stefanus Nicholas Ponder as the official crest of the Wynberg Municipality. The insignia within the four quarters represented: Van Riebeeck, Three Rings; Cape of Good Hope, Anchor; Military Camp, Tent; Viticulture in the Constantia Valley, Vine. The old motto was Vivat Crestat Floreat Vitis, or ‘May the vine live, flourish and increase.’ “ … “Mr Clegg applied to the Wynberg Municipality for permission to adopt their crest, changing only the motto, once unanimity could be arrived at on the exact wording … The Municipality readily agreed to the request, the prefects received their silver badges … and the blazer and cap badges appeared with Supera Moras subscribed in a convoluted scroll.” *
The boarding house closes due to a sharp decline in numbers, following the high cost of living increases in fees brought about by the national depression of 1908 – 1909.
The school colours of Navy & White adopted, and the first school badge of intertwined letters: ‘W, H & S’, is worn.
Boarding at Wynberg begins, under newly appointed Headmaster, Mr ET Littlewood.
The official founding date of the Wynberg Boys’ Schools under Headmaster, Mr John McNaughton.
An Oude Wijnberg Heritage synopsis. With grateful thanks to editors of the School Magazines from 1924 to the present day, and to the ‘chroniclers’ of our Schools:
Mr DH Thomson (The Story of a School, 1961)*
Mr Roger Goodwin (A School Reflects, 1991)
Mr Neil Veitch (Brothers in an Endless Chain, 2016)