WBJS has a vibrant and busy music department with over a third of the boys taking lessons, playing in a band and/or singing in a choir. Three full-time and 13 part-time teachers provide tuition on a range of instruments: Piano, Violin, Cello, Recorder, Flute, Clarinet, Saxophone, Bassoon, Trumpet, French horn, Trombone, Euphonium, Tuba, Guitar, Drums, Percussion and Voice. Every week scheduled rehearsals for Concert Band, String Ensemble and three Choirs take place. Most of our boys continue their musical training in high school with great success! If you would like to access the instrument rental agreement form, click here.
Why should my child take music lessons?
- Music is a discipline, both mental and physical
- Music is emotional and intellectual
- Intuitive and learned
- Innate and acquired
- Music is like a science, mathematical and quantifiable.
- Music is many things but it is most importantly uplifting and empowering
- One of music’s most transformative qualities for our students is the immense infusion of confidence that students experience when they realise the extent of their talent through hard work
Foundation Phase Music
Boys in the Foundation Phase (grades R, 1, 2 and 3) can begin the Piano, Recorder, Violin or Ukulele. Lessons in the Foundation Phase are given in groups of three to five (except for Piano lessons).
New junior students General Music Application Form click here.
Once boys are in Grade 4 they are given a chance to try out orchestral instruments as well acoustic guitar, and after a few terms, the option of joining the String Ensemble, Concert Band and/or Jazz Band.
Reading Bands will be starting this year and will take place at 07h00 on Tuesday and Thursdays.
The Concert Band rehearses Monday – Thursday at 06h45.
Music Theory classes for Grades 6 and 7 at 07h00 on a Friday (instrumental students).
New senior students General Music Application Form click here.
Permanent staff :
Alto and French Horn Application Form – click here.
Junior Choir Application Form – click here.
Part-time staff :
- Cello Application Form – click here.
- Violin Application Form – click here.
- Flute Application Form – click here.
- Drums Application Form – click here.
- Guitar Application Form – click here.
- Trumpet Application Form – click here.
- Clarinet Application Form – click here.
- Trombone/ Euphonium Application Form click here.
- Tuba Application Form click here.
- Recorder Application Form click here.
- Pop Vocals Application Form click here.
- Piano Application Form – click here
- Group Ukulele Application Form – click here.
To read more about our Choir Department click here.
To read more about our String Ensemble click here.
To read abour our Jazz Band click here.
Contact us: email@example.com