Wynberg Boys’ Junior School is a school with a long history, having been established in 1841. As such it is the second oldest boys’ school in the country.
The Boys’ schools operated as one school; WBHS for over a century. In 1943 Wynberg Boys’ Junior School separated from the High School, and today it is one of the leading Boys’ Junior Schools in the country.
The School moved to its present site in 1982. Besides numerous classrooms, we have computer, remedial and technology rooms, a well-equipped library, a science laboratory, a gymnasium, the A. Loerie Memorial Hall, a sports pavilion, tuckshop and a separate Grade R and After-care facilities.
The sports facilities include three fields, which are used for rugby and cricket, six cricket nets, three tennis courts and a swimming pool. The Jan Oosthuizen Pavilion is a dominant feature of the sporting facilities. We share a floodlit Astro-turf hockey field with the Wynberg Girls’ and Boys’ High Schools, as well as squash courts and waterpolo facilities.
Our school complex forms part of a Campus with Wynberg Girls’ Junior and Wynberg Girls’ High Schools. The vast majority of the boys who finish their primary school careers at Wynberg Boys’ Junior proceed to Wynberg Boys’ High School.
The school introduced Grade R classes from January 2005. A specially-built and equipped building, with 4 classrooms and a separate after- care facility houses the boys.